Working in the private sector is very exciting...
...but that's not so clear when you are in grad school.
Do any of these sound like you?
- You wonder what working in industry will be like
- You worry that you may not enjoy it
- You worry that maybe industry is 'Plan B' and people won't take you seriously
- You worry that you may not find the intellectual challenges you enjoy
- You worry that you will regret your decision in the future
If you answered 'Yes, I do!' to any of these, you came to the right place.
I worried about all of these things when I was finishing my PhD in physics, and looking for my first industry job. I knew I didn't want to be a professor, but the attitude in my department was that science research was the real career, and industry was a backup plan.
But I persisted. And I found a job I loved! And more than 20 years later, I haven't ever regretted my decision. Working in industry has been awesome!